Ask our team of design experts
LAMPS PLUS Blog Policies
You probably know interior designer Jeff Andrews from his projects with celebrity clients such as Ryan Seacrest, Khloe Kardashian, and Michael C. Hall of Dexter. I have been following his work for years and love his unique interpretation of spaces. We were very fortunate to be able to interview Jeff. He shares his inside tips on bedroom lighting below. Right after some more gorgeous pictures!
Lamps Plus: Do you have a formula for selecting light fixtures for the bedroom?
Jeff Andrews: The style of the house and design scheme I am developing have a great deal to do with the fixtures I select. I like to consider the light in the room from existing ceiling fixtures, recessed cans, etc. I always take into account the proportions of the room and how much light is needed in every area.
Lamps Plus: What are different ways to incorporate bedside lighting?
Jeff Andrews: Table lamps, swing arm sconces, pendants or some combination of all make for great bedside lighting options. Directional sconces used with table lamps give people a choice between ambient and practical task lighting as well.
Lamps Plus: What are your thoughts on using a chandelier in the bedroom?
Jeff Andrews: Love! The style has to complement the overall room scheme - not overpower it. Also, a decorative ceiling fixture should never be the main source of light for a bedroom.
Lamps Plus: If the bedroom has recessed lights, how do you add drama through other light fixtures?
Jeff Andrews: Add ambient lighting from several different sources such as table lamps, floor lamps, and sconces. Change the existing trims in the recessed light fixtures to wall washers to accent artwork and other key elements. Also, always make sure all the lighting is on a dimmer so you can control the mood.
Lamps Plus: How does lighting affect the mood of the bedroom?
Jeff Andrews: Lighting affects the mood of a bedroom as it does in all rooms...lighting is the key to creating ambiance and changing the overall atmosphere of a space. Good lighting can also make you look better. That is a great thing in the bedroom!
Lamps Plus: When using bedside table lamps, do they have to match?
Jeff Andrews: Not necessarily, but I prefer it - symmetry and balance help create harmony in a room.
Lamps Plus: What are your top 5 favorite bedroom light fixtures from the current Lamps Plus catalog?
1. The Possini Euro "floating rectangle LED plug-in wall light" is a nice combination light for those who like to read in bed.
2. A nice swing-arm wall mounted option is the Possini Euro "chrome plug-in swing arm lamp." Its understated yet elegant design would work well in almost any decor.
3. The sleek design of the "raindrop chrome finish mini pendant lights" are perfect for a modern interior. I would use two on each side of the bed at staggered heights for an interesting and contemporary look.
4. The lines of the "bronze finish moderne table lamp" are contemporary and chic, which is the perfect choice for a guest bedroom and the finish looks good with almost anything.
5. I love the "animal print ceramic urn table lamp" because it combines a classic shape with a texture and color of vintage ceramics.
Possini Euro Floating Rectangle LED Plug-In Wall Light (featured above, left) and Possini Euro Chrome Plug-In Swing Arm Wall Lamp (featured above, right)
Raindrop Chrome Finish Mini Pendant Light (featured above, left) and Bronze Finish Moderne Table Lamp (featured above, right)
Animal Print Ceramic Urn Table Lamp (featured above)
Images: Grey Crawford, Edward Duarte, Lamps Plus
Great lighting designs and photographs - thanks for posting.