Ask our team of design experts
LAMPS PLUS Blog Policies
Daylight saving time officially ends this Sunday, November 6th, at 2 am, so remember to set your clocks back one hour (fall back) when you go to bed Saturday night.
Since we'll all be in the dark more with the coming of shorter days and shorter daylight hours in the evening, here are a few tips to keep you going and save money.
1) If you are in the habit of leaving the porch light on all day so that it's on when you return, switch to outdoor lighting with auto on-off sensors. This type of lighting is ideal for garages and entry areas.
2) Still using old incandescent bulbs? Make the switch to CFLs or LED light bulbs, which look better than they used to, last far longer than normal bulbs, and are priced cheaper than ever.
3) Lighter color or white translucent lamp shades allow more to shine thru and illuminate a room space. If you have dark shades or heavily patterned shades, swap them out for the winter months when light is at a premium.
4) Instead of relying on just a single lamp source to light a room, use light from different sources around the room - use a mix of table lamps, wall lighting, floor lamps and accent lights. The different sources add a soft, diffused look to a room and eliminate dark corners and shadows.
5) Automatic timers are a great idea for your outdoor lighting. But don't stop there. Add a lighting accessory like a timer to indoor lights so you can enter a lighted home.
Sunset photo thanks to Wikipedia.
The Lamps Plus design team is a group of seasoned bloggers with very diverse backgrounds. Every weekday we strive to proved inspirational content that you can implement in making your house a home. Our focus is on interior design tips and lighting ideas for today’s home. If you are enjoying the posts, we invite you join the conversation and to leave a comment or two. Thank you for reading!
Thanks John. Now I won't have an excuse for being late on Monday.