Which Way Should a Ceiling Fan Turn for Summer, Winter?
By circulating the air in a room, a ceiling fan can help make a room feel cooler and stay warmer. Which way the fan spins depends on the season.
- SUMMER - set your fan motor to spin in a counter-clockwise direction.
- By doing so, studies have shown that you can save as much as 40% off summer cooling bills.
- WINTER - make your fan spin in a clockwise direction.
- A clockwise direction moves warm air back to the center of the room, pulling it down from the ceiling.
- Using your fan in the winter can save as much as 10% on your heating bill.
- One note: make sure you purchase a fan with a reversible motor feature. If you don't, you won't be able to reverse the spin and airflow with the change of seasons.
CEILING FAN TIPS
Cool your home in the summer and efficiently heat it in the winter with a stylish ceiling fan from Lamps Plus. Decorative styling is just one part of the equation when shopping for a ceiling fan. Keep these helpful terms in mind also as you browse:
- Blade Span: Twice the distance from the tip of the blade to the center, blade span measures the true width of a fan while in motion. It's important to keep this measure in mind in tight spaces such as a bedroom or sunroom.
- Airflow Efficiency: Every design we sell includes an efficiency rating to give you an overview of how much air the fan moves per watt of electricity it uses.
- Blade Pitch: The angle of the blade - its pitch - is optimized to maximize the fan's airflow efficiency.
What styles are hot right now? Decorative designs with a sleek blend of metal and wood accents, and cool, relaxing tropical styles with beautiful rattan blades. Along with our exclusive Casa Vieja fan models, we offer top trend-setting brands like Hunter, Minka Aire and more. Choose a designer look that best matches your existing or planned interior or exterior! Plus, get free shipping and free returns on all ceiling fans at Lamps Plus.
CUSTOMIZE YOUR FAN
Can't find what you're looking for? Create your own ceiling fan right here, online! Build a custom ceiling fan for a personalized style that's 100% your own. Or, for questions call us toll-free at 800-782-1967. We're here to help!
* Free Shipping and/or Free Returns offers apply to shipments within the 48 continental U.S; Freight items excluded. Free Returns does not apply to items with giclee art shades, Color Plus brand and Tiffany Color Plus brand items, or certain items with designer shades.