Ask our team of design experts
LAMPS PLUS Blog Policies
Meeting your mother-in-law for the first time …interviewing for that huge promotion … impressing your future hubby with your wit ...you never getting a second chance to make a first impression! Here are seven tips for getting organized in your entryway that will set the tone for what's to come in your home:
1. Landing Space: Whether it’s a bench, console table or mirrored accent table, a place to drop your keys is key.
2. Lighting: Set the mood with adequate light. I love a statement-making drum shade chandelier in an entry – a huge one in a small entrance speaks volumes. Don’t forget a fabulous lamp with a decorative lamp shade that ties into your color scheme so your space has more than one source of light.
3. Hooks: They offer a place to hang your straw fedora and pom-pom fringed scarf. From a standing coat rack to a piece of weathered barn wood with old doorknobs as hooks, to simple numbers stenciled on the wall - get creative.
4. Mirror: Not only does a stylish wall mirror reflect light and make a space feel larger, but it’s a great place to make sure you don’t have any lipstick on your teeth before you walk out the door.
5. Bins: Wicker baskets, wooden crates or vintage metal locker drawers add texture and can hold tons of pairs of flip flops.
6. Seating: If there's room, add a small chair, stool or bench or carve a built in niche from an unused closet for the perfect place to slip on your shoes before you race out the door.
7. Personality: The entry sets the stage for what’s in store in the rest of the house. Add pizazz with a bold wall color, unique piece of art, a framed family portrait or your favorite collection.So make that first impression count by getting organized in your entryway ...
It's much less painful than impressing the in-laws.
Image credits: Homedit, Indulgy, This Little Estate, Better Homes and Gardens, A Beautiful Mess, via Pinterest, The New Yorkie.
What a great collection of entryways. There was a little something in them all I loved and found useful!