LAMPS PLUS Blog Policies
You often hear the directive "create layers of light" when researching how to design a home lighting scheme, but what does this actually mean?
Here are six quick tips on how to achieve that much talked about multi-layered lighting effect. Good luck, it's not as hard as it sounds!
1) Add separate controls and dimmer switches to your lighting so you can easily moderate the light intensity.
2) Accent lights, such as spotlights, can add both brighter task lighting and enliven your dining room table top.
3) Brightening a room's edges will make the room appear instantly bigger and brighter. Recessed lights near the corners of the room, torchieres/sconces pointed towards the ceiling, and track lighting with wall washers all fill in those dark corners with light.
4) Emphasize the furniture around the edges of a room with lighting. Low voltage lights can be attached on the underside of bookshelves or buffets. Table lamps and slim pendant chandeliers can brighten surfaces.
5) Highlight wall features such a paintings, fireplace mantels or curtains with floodlights, spotlights, track lights or even sconces. You'll be surprised how much more spacious a room will become if extra light is applied to darker decorative pieces.
6) Don't forget about candlelight which a great way to add a whole new "layer". It flickers and dances across the faces of your guests and loved ones in a flattering, cozy way.