Our home decorating blog offers interior design tips and lighting ideas for today's home! Enjoy professional interior design advice, home decor ideas and inspiration.
LAMPS PLUS Blog Policies
There's no doubt that "natural" is in. Not only are we looking for green products that tred lightly on the environment, but we also want decor accents that have been inspired by and reach out to nature. This includes colors such as golds, greens and browns, and the use of natural materials like wood and stone.
The table lamps below perfectly express this trend with designs drawn from ocean and earth.
Browse our table lamp selection for your own inspiration.
Water: Mother of Pearl Orb Table Lamp; mother of pearl tiles create a shimmering effect (above).
Water: Abalone Table Lamp; a divine look from Candice Olson.
Earth: Bristol Creme Malfi Table Lamp; a hand-crafted ceramic lamp design by Haeger Potteries.
Earth: Mackenzie Table Lamp; this lamp uses a beautifully textured piece of marble.
Earth: Marius Table Lamp another rich earthen look in marble by Uttermost Lighting
Water: Nautilus Shell Table Lamp; seaside style with a faux nautilus shell.
Post Update: sorry, but some of the designs written about here are no longer available. Browse our complete table lamps selection for all the latest looks and styles.
Looking to get a little extra life out of your existing table lamps? Add a new lamp shade on top, or try updating the look of the lamp shade finial.
The finial is the crowning ornamental detail at the top of the shade, and adding a new design can totally remake the look of a lamp. It's also a quick and easy switch to make.
You can choose a new decorative design, add a look that harmonizes with the lamp body, or go for a finial style that accents other decor elements in your room.
We like this kiwi green finial for contemporary lamps, or choose a whimsical figurine like this bird's nest finial for more traditional lamp designs.
One of my favorite blogs, Elements of Style, hipped me to celebrity designer Jonathan Adler's cheeky and fun "10 Commandments for a Happy Chic Home." Adler's zest for decor is contagious. His particular love of orange is perfectly in-line with this year's color trends.
We've got some great Jonathan Adler lighting and furniture, and just for fun I peeked around for some fun orange pieces, too. Enjoy!
Looking for a stunning wall sconce, created from fine materials, skillfully crafted, unique but not flashy, intricate but not gaudy, available in a range of designs to fit your particular taste?
Meet the Limoges Collection of porcelain wall sconces.
Named for the French city famous for fine porcelain, there are several exquisite designs to choose from. Perfect for traditional and updated decors, too.
Browse our selection of Limoges designer wall sconces here.
We are always grateful when you take the time to submit photos with a product reviews. Here are a few favorites:
In the recessed lighting category, "GIl R" used our energy efficient bulbs to brighten their kitchen without creating additional heat. They did a good job of placing the recessed fixtures to highlight their workspaces without being too rigidly patterned. Congratulations GIl R, this kitchen is very inviting.
"Jack the Illuminator", a customer from Washington State, sent us two great-looking photos of his outdoor lights. One for the day and one for night. Thanks Jack! They look great.
"RLwoman", from Florida, sent us a photo of her contemporary living room. Nice work! Both the table lamp and the George Kovacs arc floor lamp you picked look amazing.
Thanks to all!
The end of daylight savings time is here, so don't forget to turn your clocks back one hour this Saturday.
With the clock change and shorter days, we offer these lighting tips to keep your autumn and winter days glowing without your energy costs growing.
1. Make the switch to low wattage compact fluorescent bulbs. Today?s CFL bulbs are available in a wide range of colors, plus they use up to 80% less energy and last 20 times longer than normal bulbs.
2. Change dark lamp shades to lighter ones to allow more light into the room.
3. Consider lighting products that feature full spectrum capabilities, which provide cost-efficient illumination that is very close to natural lighting we enjoy throughout spring and summer.
4. Add a dimmer to your existing lighting. Dimming your lights an average of 50 percent will cut home electricity usage a whopping 40 percent over time. It will also make your bulbs last 20 times longer, saving you the hassle of frequent and sometimes expensive bulb replacement.
5. Place your floor lamps in corners so you will have two walls to reflect the light back into the room. This is an easy way to create a brighter atmosphere without having to use extra light.
6. Because the nights are longer, consider enhancing your landscape lighting so that you can enjoy your yard at night. Use transformers with a timer and photocell to help you save money by lighting your yard more efficiently.
One item from our furniture selection has proven surprisingly popular - the chairside table. They're perfect for fitting in between two chairs or recliners without taking up a lot of space like a conventional end table would.
Make yourself comfortable - these tables have shelves, drawers, and magazine racks for extra storage.
This magazine rack version has extra storage and a grand look.
A wedge shape fits easily almost anywhere.
A country-cottage, handpainted table adds warmth to a room.
People are paying greater attention to our environment these days, and, similarly, decorators are getting more inspiration from the beauty of nature. Organic design captures the colors, curves, and textures of the great outdoors. Here are two ways to bring a bit of nature's beauty into your home. I've got a couple more tricks up my sleeve ... stay tuned for more in upcoming posts.
Animal Prints - Zebra stripes, cowhide, and mock-croc create intriguing furniture, rugs, and decorative home accessories while adding undeniable pizzazz to a room. Use animal prints as a playful accent to add life and pop to any setting. We love this zebra print chair.
Natural Fiber Rugs - Rugs of all styles are being made from eco-friendly materials such as sisal, jute and bamboo. This jute rug was inspired by beautiful patterns in coral reefs. A great fit for chic, contemporary and Asian-themed rooms, too.
1. Recessed lights are best for task lighting. The concentrated light is perfect over counters, inside closets, and above work surfaces.
2. Supplement crystal chandeliers or other accent fixtures with recessed spot lights. The extra light emphasizes the materials and adds overall brightness.
3. Don't attempt to light a whole room solely with recessed lighting; the light quality will be too harsh. You need additional light from a floor lamp or sconce at eye level.
4. Install with dimmer switches. Recessed fixtures provide bright, overhead light; you need to be able to soften the mood if necessary.
5. Avoid placing recessed lights in a rigid pattern. Try placing them strategically to highlight an object or architectural feature. You may risk an "airport runway effect" if the placement is too grid-like.
Just for fun, I'll be doing a monthly series on the signs of the Zodiac. Each month I'll pick out a couple items that fit the sign. Let's take a closer look at Scorpio, shall we?
Dear Scorpios ... Your outlook for the month is somewhat hazy. Well, not so much hazy, but dim. Consider a couple of stylish new table lamps to brighten up your month!
Scorpios' birthstone is topaz, so the Topaz Veranda Ceramic table lamp from Haeger Potteries is perfect. Scorpios are determined, tenancious and perservering -- qualities that have kept the Haeger Potteries brand at the forefront of ceramic crafts for over 130 years.
Scorpios are passionate and intense, just like the Passion Arc desk lamp! With a bold red shade and languidly contoured frame, this design is dripping with drama. Also available, the Passion Arc floor lamp.
Scorpio is deeply committed to relationships of all kinds. The Lovers Talk sculpture represents Scorpio's loyal and devotional side. Next month ... free-spirited and enterprising Sagittarius!