Ask our team of design experts
LAMPS PLUS Blog Policies
1. Recessed lights are best for task lighting. The concentrated light is perfect over counters, inside closets, and above work surfaces.
2. Supplement crystal chandeliers or other accent fixtures with recessed spot lights. The extra light emphasizes the materials and adds overall brightness.
3. Don't attempt to light a whole room solely with recessed lighting; the light quality will be too harsh. You need additional light from a floor lamp or sconce at eye level.
4. Install with dimmer switches. Recessed fixtures provide bright, overhead light; you need to be able to soften the mood if necessary.
5. Avoid placing recessed lights in a rigid pattern. Try placing them strategically to highlight an object or architectural feature. You may risk an "airport runway effect" if the placement is too grid-like.
Susanna is a former copywriter with LampsPlus.com. Working within the online
world, she has created and syndicated content to support a range of
brands. She has an almost unnatural interest in lighting design and is
excited to combine her experience with her curiosity. She constantly
looks for new innovations within the lighting field in materials and
technology while struggling to find a solution for her high-ceilinged