Ask our team of design experts
LAMPS PLUS Blog Policies
The end of daylight savings time is here, so don't forget to turn your clocks back one hour this Saturday.
With the clock change and shorter days, we offer these lighting tips to keep your autumn and winter days glowing without your energy costs growing.
1. Make the switch to low wattage compact fluorescent bulbs. Today?s CFL bulbs are available in a wide range of colors, plus they use up to 80% less energy and last 20 times longer than normal bulbs.
2. Change dark lamp shades to lighter ones to allow more light into the room.
3. Consider lighting products that feature full spectrum capabilities, which provide cost-efficient illumination that is very close to natural lighting we enjoy throughout spring and summer.
4. Add a dimmer to your existing lighting. Dimming your lights an average of 50 percent will cut home electricity usage a whopping 40 percent over time. It will also make your bulbs last 20 times longer, saving you the hassle of frequent and sometimes expensive bulb replacement.
5. Place your floor lamps in corners so you will have two walls to reflect the light back into the room. This is an easy way to create a brighter atmosphere without having to use extra light.
6. Because the nights are longer, consider enhancing your landscape lighting so that you can enjoy your yard at night. Use transformers with a timer and photocell to help you save money by lighting your yard more efficiently.
The Lamps Plus design team is a group of seasoned bloggers with very diverse backgrounds. Every weekday we strive to proved inspirational content that you can implement in making your house a home. Our focus is on interior design tips and lighting ideas for today’s home. If you are enjoying the posts, we invite you join the conversation and to leave a comment or two. Thank you for reading!