Ask our team of design experts
LAMPS PLUS Blog Policies
Don't forget ... clocks go back tomorrow, November 1st, at 2am. As Daylight Savings Time ends, energy bills get bigger in part because people keep their lights on longer throughout the winter months. As we turn back the clocks, here are a few tips to help turn down your energy bills.
- Replace high wattage bulbs with lower wattage bulbs. Changing from a 100 watt to a 75 or 60 watt version makes a real difference in energy savings. Better yet, make the jump to a CFL bulb.
- Use dimmer switches where you can, and consider "occupancy switches" which automatically turn lights off when you leave a room.
- Outdoor lights with timers or photocell sensors light your yard more efficiently. Check out models with dusk-to-dawn operation and motion sensors.
- Place floor lamps in corners so two walls reflect the light back into the room. This is an easy way to create a brighter atmosphere without having to turn on extra lights.
- Your landscape lights will be on longer each night, so be sure your system is as energy efficient as possible. Consider using solar landscape lighting where practical.
Enjoy an energy efficient winter!
photo credit powi via flickr
Adam is a former copywriter for LampsPlus.com. After working in advertising and entertainment, Adam discovered an interest in lighting and design. He's drawn to outdoor and landscape lighting for creating charming and comfortable outdoor living spaces. He's also currently on a mission to install more dimmers and energy efficient bulbs at home.